Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Spring Cleaning

I have the urge to do massive spring cleaning. I'm not just talking washing the entire house and opening the windows to let the fresh air in(which I can't do yet seeing as we still have feet of snow on the ground), but going through the basement and sorting through every box and bin and getting rid of the crap we've collected and held on to without thinking. The stuff that clutters our house -stuff we really don't use or maybe don't even like but we are too lazy or too passive or too unwilling to really see just how much junk there is. I want to clean and organize and make sense of the mess that is my house. I crave organization and simplicity and space much more than stuff.

This urge goes so much deeper than that, though. I feel like over the weeks, months, years, I have accumulated a lot of extra clutter in my mind, heart, and soul and I want to clean that out too. I want to get rid of the junk in my life that isn't really important and make more room for the things that do. I want to live simply and deliberately. To make time to see. To really look and see God. He is everywhere if I am only willing to see.

"We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls."
Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment