Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Making The Most Of It

Winter is long and it has been cold here! The past week was so cold we couldn't really head outside much, so we've been having epic battles with light sabers, nerf guns and bows.



I'm really not sure who is having more fun here. We've also been engineering railroad cities complete with rock quarries and rocket ships.  He's been going back and forth between the Navy hat and his pilot helmet. Navy won today.

I've been enjoying rediscovering the kitchen as well. It was so wonderful to bake bread yesterday. Something magical happens in those last 5 minutes of baking bread; the aromas bring the promise of something delicious and special and fulfilling and it changes the feel of the whole house.



These were just buns to go along with more Lucys. We invited ourselves over to Hub's brother's house last night to watch football and I promised Lucys to make up for the intrusion.



It was really nice to get out and be social, but man, it is so hard to go anywhere new. And by new I mean we haven't been there since J. It seems like we forget ourselves and sometime during the evening we found ourselves searching the house to make sure Jameson wasn't climbing the furniture or throwing blocks at the windows. I would give anything to have my sassy little prince back. Little Man's little cousin knocked down a block tower last night and we talked about how J always used to do that. Little Man and I nicknamed Jameson J-zilla whenever he went on a destructive bender. And what little brother doesn't destroy big brother's creations at every chance offered? J-zilla!! He was so awesome.



I'm going to have to bake more bread today. I could use a little magic today. And Little Man loves to help me bake.

Making the most of it is important to me. We only have one life to live and I know we made the most of it with Jameson; I have so much peace from knowing that we did. It is a gift to look back over the past three years and know that we loved and lived fully; we took adventures whenever they were offered, we made messes and art, we threw caution to the wind and explored our world as a family. We laughed and smiled and painted with pudding and took baths in the middles of the day just for the heck of it. I have no regrets from the way we have lived. Isn't that an amazing thing to be able to say? It is a gift from God. We were open and willing and He gave us this gift. And I will cherish it for the rest of my life as I try to continue this life with no regrets.

This morning Little Man needed to sleep in so we were running late for school. As I'm shoving his legs into his jeans, he's cramming a breakfast bar down his throat and attempting to not spill cider down his shirt. And then we couldn't find the car keys. Anywhere. And it seems like a such a small thing, but it was a crossroad. I thought about how to react and I'm happy to say that this morning we made the most of it. Instead of getting upset and trashing the house to find the spare, we threw on our snow pants and walked to school. What a gift. It is beautiful outside! Fresh snow fell last night and everything was covered in a clean, white blanket. There were just a few flakes still coming down and lots of great ice hunks just begging to be kicked from snowbanks. It was a gift and I'm so glad we took it.



So even though our backyard looks like this right now, we are still going to grab life and run with it. The treasures of life are often found in the everyday adventures and gifts like this make it all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment