Monday, January 24, 2011

Cold Weather, Warm Hearts

We had a lazy and cozy weekend. Remember how I said I wasn't going to just let Little Man watch TV all weekend? I said something about art projects and reading and playing games instead...



Well, we did play a game or two and get all silly some of the time.


And we did make some art projects and read a number of good books Daddy brought home from the library.


But mostly, Little Man laid on the couch, barking like a seal until he was out of breath, watching TV. He watched PBS and Star Wars movies with Hubs and BusyTown episodes on Netflix and Disney movies... Yeah. Mom of the Year, right here. That's me! Little Man is still absolutely miserable and we are all anxious for the croup to leave our house. He went to bed at six tonight; hopefully he will be able to sleep tonight and start recouperating.

I wanted so badly to make him feel better. To make him comfy and happy. To soothe. So I made soup.


But not just any soup. This a soup I dream about. This is the kind of soup that makes me wish for cold. It is one of my favorite winter comfort foods.


Ribollita di pane. Mmmm.


Full of veggies: carrots, beet greens, kale, onions, garlic, celery, and whatever else is in the fridge, calling my name. And bacon. Mmmm, bacon. Beans. Crusty Italian bread. It is the kind of soup that is even better the next day. It was delicious; Hubs literally had to tell me to stop saying "Mmmm" after every bite. I just can't help myself.


It was the perfect food for such a cold weekend. Ahh, it was cold. Not even the dogs wanted to play outside. But while it was cold outside, out hearts were warm and happy. An old friend just happened to be in town for a conference and was able to stay a few extra days to visit with us. It was wonderful. We had great food and even better conversation. We had much too much fun to actually do the dishes.


We talked and played games and laughed through movies and reminisced.


We ate pancakes and drank tea. We shared our lives with each other. We cried and laughed and snuggled with dogs.


It was such an unexpected and welcome blessing in my life. I'll take cold weather and warm hearts any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment