Thursday, July 4, 2013

Teal and the Blues

Tuesday was Hubs' one day off for the next two weeks.  So naturally, we woke up to a pond in the kitchen.  Since we didn't already have enough going on.  Apparently the ice maker line had a little pin hole leak in it.  It wasn't so little by the time we got up.  Luckily, the serious damage was contained to just the sink cabinet, which I will be ripping out today.  I have to find a replacement cabinet for our 1979 one.  Hahaha.  Just for fun, I went to a kitchen store yesterday to see how much it would cost to replace all our cabinets.  That was fun.  It was all so very enticing, except that with beautiful new ones, I wouldn't want to paint them.  And I'm actually so hell-bent on having a teal kitchen with red barstools and a yellow door that I seriously want to turn down new cabinets.  And since it's not really in the budget anyway, I might as well. 

After we mopped up the kitchen with every unpacked towel we own, we left and went to the beach.  It was a little chilly, but stubborn me was insistent on wearing my swimsuit anyway.  I was the one making sandcastles in a swimsuit with goosebumps upon gooosebumps all afternoon, if you were there.  It was a nice break from the heatwave we've been having at home.  We found a whole bunch of broken clam shells.  All pearly and blue.  I collected a gallon ziploc and am going to wash them really well, break them up into teeny little pieces and put them into my homemade bathroom concrete countertops.  I can think about my brokenness every time I wash my hands. 

And today is the 4th of July.  We are going to try to play a little more than normal today.  And after Hubs gets home from his 13 hour shift, we are going to see fireworks and do sparklers and have as much fun as we can cram in before we all fall over from fatigue.  We need a little more fun because the ache has been so great.

Little Man talked about Jameson all day long yesterday.  About how much he misses him and how much he wishes we were closer to Heaven.  I overheard him telling Little Lady about her dead brother. And how he hopes she doesn't get sick and die, too.  He's lonely without his best buddy.  And while we've made a few friends here, I haven't been doing a good enough job of taking them out to the parks every day and seeking out more buddies for him.  I need to work on some balance with the home improvement and the everything else.  Because really, that has been it since we've gotten here.  And all work and no play is making Jack a little crazy.  Mom, too. 

So we are all kind of blue this week.  Missing Jameson.  Missing family.  Missing relaxation.  Missing Daddy and realizing just how long intern year is really gonna be. 

We'll stay afloat, though.  I'm going to rip out a sink and some drywall this morning  before the kids wake up and then we are off to have fun.  And maybe go to Lowes.  Because everyday is hardware store day. 

Happy 4th of July!  We are going to add some red and white to our blue and make it a great day.  Aw come on, that was awesome.  I just needed a little cheese to go with the whine.  Yes, yes...I really do think I'm funny.  I hope you all have a great day and awesome fireworks tonight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment