Monday, December 12, 2011

The Infirmary

Crossing my fingers did not work. I got sick Tuesday night, Little Man got sick again Wednesday, and the plague caught up with Hubs Thursday. It was a *fun* week. Thursday night after we put Little Man to bed, Hubs and I were curled up on opposite ends of the couch under mounds of blankets and I felt just like the old, sick grandparents in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Little Man and Hubs both rebounded quickly; by Friday night they were both eating real food and feeling pretty good, but it lingered for me. I was almost in tears with the aches and stomach pains Friday night. Either I'm a complete wuss or pregnancy just made it a lot harder to deal with. Thankfully, I woke up Saturday morning a new person, able to eat and actually move around. After three days of nothing but gatorade, jello and dry toast, it was a relief to be done with it all.

Hubs has always prescribed to the "Go big or go home" method of getting over stomach bugs. I usually laugh and think that for a doc-in-training he can really be obtuse, but he swears by it. Two years ago, after a particularly harsh stomach bug, he had pizza for his first meal. It didn't go well. This time, however, I was so sick of the BRAT diet, I kinda of dove right in with coffee and Christmas cookies. It was awesome. Little Man and I made Molasses Spice Crinkles- my favorite cookie. Oh they are so good.



Now that the plague has left our house and I've Lysoled and bleached every surface, we are in full blast Christmas mode. The tree is up and decorated, the Christmas music is on the stereo, the tree has presents under it, the stockings are on the mantle and the cookies are being baked every few days. I think today I'm going to try a new recipe for cranberry orange cookies. Now we just need snow! We've got cold and ice, but no snow. If you have seen Old Man Winter by you, please send him my way.

This week, we are taking Little Man to see Santa, checking out light displays, and we have Little Man's Christmas concert. It is going to be a good week. Oh, and I've discovered a recipe for Nutella Hot Chocolate! Just heat up a glass of milk and stir in a tablespoon or two (or, ahem, 3) and drink. I've also heard from a good source that a splash of Frangelico makes it a great cocktail. I'll have to wait to try that.

There are a lot of things that aren't easy right now, but we really are trying to live intentionally and we are off to a pretty good start. I hope your Holidays are all merry and bright so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment