Friday, October 14, 2011

Back In The Kitchen

Now that Little Man is in school full-time and we are all unpacked and settled in, I have a lot of time on my hands. A lot. Too much, actually, but I'm working on fixing that with volunteer opportunities and hopefully a part-time job. In the meantime, I'm enjoying reading, napping, exploring the area and cooking.

Yes, I am back in the kitchen; after taking a month off to move and camp, it is great. I've become good friends with my first gas oven, successfully not burning or under cooking anything yet. I think this is the beginning of a wonderful relationship.

The breadmaker has been working overtime as well. I've been using the dough cycle for soft pretzels for after-school snacks(cinnamon sugar soft pretzels are dynamite dipped in a pumpkin cream cheese dip!), pizza dough, cinnamon roll dough, etc. Plus, we've been eating a loaf of bread every two or three days. I've been playing around with whole wheat- flax meal bread and we are just finishing up a loaf of oatmeal honey wheat bread. I think today I'm going to make a loaf of cottage cheese bread for the weekend. I would die on a low carb diet.

Here are a few pics of the deliciousness we've been enjoying up north.

Baked pumpkin macaroni and cheese.



Hoisin pulled pork on homemade bread with spaghetti squash.


Butternut squash and wild rice soup with apple, curry, and coconut milk. I let Hubs help stir and he added almost a 1/4 cup of curry to the soup, so it had some kick. Yogurt helped knock it down for Little Man.


And the favorite dish of the week: caramel apple rolls. I put a few of those amazing honeycrisps we picked at the orchard to work and they starred well in my almost-famous caramel rolls. They are amazing as is, but I'm not sure I can ever go back now...apples and caramel are meant to be together.



It is just amazing how much happiness a, ahem, few sticks of butter can bring to the breakfast table. Which is why we only have them a few times a year. Life is too short to not enjoy good food, though.

Today is a blustery, cold, and overcast day and I'm debating between making vegetarian chili or garlicky spinach-sausage gratin from my Cooking Light magazine. The subscription was a birthday gift last year and our whole family has enjoyed the deliciousness of it. The caramel rolls are most definitely not from there.

Happy Friday, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment